Prep: 30 Minutes –Cook: 80 Minutes –Serves 16-20
2 kg piece smoked Australian ham
425g can pineapple slices in juice, (8 slices), drained, juice reserved
2 Tbsp whole cloves
5 Tbsp honey
1 tsp hot chilli paste
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C fan-forced (180 degrees C conventional). Place ham on a rack in a baking dish. Run your thumb underneath skin and above fat layer, to separate edges. Starting from widest edge, gently pull back rind to remove. Discard.
- Arrange pineapple on surface of ham, halving slices as necessary and securing with cocktail sticks. Stud both fruit and meat with whole cloves.
- Pour cola over ham and add juice from pineapple. Cover loosely with foil. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove ham from oven. Spoon ½ cup cooking juices into small saucepan. Whisk in honey and chilli paste. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes until syrupy.
- Meanwhile, increase oven to 200 degrees C fan-forced (220 degrees C conventional). Brush glaze over pineapple and bake ham for another 25-30 minutes, brushing glaze over every so often. Leave to rest for 30 minutes before carving.
- Serve ham hot or cold with vegetables or salad and chutney.
Find Australian ham by looking for the Australian Pork logo.